Mitai Māori Cultural Experience & Dinner Buffet
- Free parking available
- Dress for the weather eg. warm clothing in winter, hat in summer, jacket when raining etc
- Comfortable shoes for the bush walk
- Umbrellas provided based on first term basis
- Some limitations for wheelchair accessibility during walk through the forest
- Baby highchairs available – limited number so book in advance
- Bar facilities available on site, no alcoholic beverages to be brought onto or taken from the premises
- Adult Ages 16+
- Child Ages 5-9
- Infant Ages 4 and under
We bring you the ultimate cultural experience!
Enter the world of Mitai, and learn about the history of this area which was once flourished in villages.
Cultural Performance & Experience!
Our stories unfold through the dynamic scenes of warriors paddling the war canoe down Wai-o-Whiro stream. The melodious sounds of instruments and entertainment are highlighted through the haka and performing arts. Enjoy the traditional Hangi dinner followed by an evening walk through the forest visiting the old village site and discovering the sacred natural spring Te Puna Tapu a Tuhoe. End the evening in awe of the glow worms lighting the banks of the forest.
Buffet, the delicious tempting traditional hangi food of the Great Ocean of Kiwa!
Our hāngī earth oven kai (food) includes meat, chicken, kumara and much more.
The hāngī is cooked in an earth-oven, a hole 1-2m into the ground, the baskets of kai are placed on hot stones at the bottom of a hāngī pit. The kai is then covered to trap the heat, the steam and heat from heated hāngī stones infuses the kai with delicious earthy flavours while it cooks for 3-4 hours. Come and try out the delicious tempting food.
Note: We specialise in serving “hangi”. Our menu does cater for some dietary needs such as gluten free, we have some vegetarian and vegan options available – all our meats are halal.
Your Experience Includes:
- Welcoming ceremony
- View the unveiling of traditional hangi meal
- Witness warriors paddling canoe down Wai-o-Whiro stream
- Cultural Performance
- Full buffet hangi dinner
- Questions & answers session
- Walk through nature to see ancient fortified village, learning about the old ways of living and the survival of our people
- See the natural resource of spring Te Puna Tapu o Tuhoe and;
- Watch the forest light up as the glow worms appear in the night
Complimentary Transfers (Limited numbers)
- Available to and from our registered accommodation
- Bookings are required via our online booking form or
- Contact us at [email protected] or +64 7 343 9132
Note: Once we reach full capacity the transfer option will be closed (we do not hold inventory & numbers are limited)